Data visualization (dataviz) is the graphical representation of information and data. By using charts, plots, graphs, and infographics - data visualization provides a visual way to understand trends, and patterns in data - especially for large data sets and non-technical audiences.
Consider the following statistics from the University of Minnesota:
- 50% of the human brain is used to process visual information
- people can retain 65% of the information three days after looking at an image with data compared to 10% of the information they hear
- 65% of the human population are visual learners, indicating that most of us need to see information to retain it
Make informed data visualization driven decisions to drive commercial growth, improve customer experience and a healthier bottom line
What kinds of Data visualization needs do you have? Harvard Business Review defines 4 types of data visualization:
- Idea illustration
- Info type: Process, framework
- Typical setting: presentations, teaching
- Primary skills: Design, editing and
- Goals: Learning, simplifying, explaining
- Idea generation
- Info type: complex, undefined
- Typical setting: working session, brainstorming
- Primary skills: team-building, facilitation
- Goals: Problem solving, discovery, innovation
- Visual discovery
- Info type: Big data, complex, dynamic
- Typical setting: Working sessions, testing, analysis
- Primary skills: Business intelligence, programming, paired analysis
- Goals: Trend spotting, sense making, deep analysis
- Everyday Dataviz
- Info type: simple, low volume
- Typical setting: formal, presentations
- Primary skills: design, storytelling
- Goals: affirming, setting context
While Excel and Google Sheets are still commonly used as data visualization tools, more intricate techniques can be used - including - infographics, bubble clouds, heat maps, time series, area and pyramid charts, scatter plots, etc
Key advantages of data visualization include:
- Enables users to make better/quicker data driven business decisions
- Identifies correlations between operations and key drivers faster
- Clarifies which factors influence customer behavior
- Unlocks hidden patterns, deeper trends and identifies areas that need immediate attention
- Enables audiences to absorb information quickly (visualize patterns & complex relationships)
- Maintains an audience's interest with information they can understand
- Easy to distribute, share insights and foster business users to interact with their data
How we can help
When your business accumulates vast amounts of data, it can be daunting to comb through it all to find patterns and trends. Data visualization provides easy-to-read, uniform, accessible ways to interpret and understand your data, allowing your business to make informed decisions.
There are numerous ways to display your data – from pictographs, to tables, to graphs or charts. Your business functionality and alignment will improve, as the ability to understand data will increase work efficiency, generate revenue, and identify opportunities. Data visualizations should be useful, visually appealing and never misleading.
We’ll customize and implement data visualization tools to let everyone in your organization see the info relevant to them, whether they need a high-level view or want to drill down to the finer details.
We'll implement software solutions that give everyone in the organization the information they need, with the ability to change the way you see and display it.
Data Aggregation & Warehousing
When your data is siloed in different locations and applications, it's almost impossible to get a full picture. We help you consolidate your data, allowing you to easily access and interpret it.
Interpretation & Visualization
We will work with you to define key reporting metrics, develop efficient reporting formulas, and present your data in a way that lets you make data-driven decisions.
We've built numerous dashboards that drive better decision making
Don't take our word for it
Poeta Digital is proud to support small, medium & multinational organizations in any industry
Some of our clients
See how others have benefited
Realizing technology could increase the service and benefit TEC provided to its clients, together we designed and built an app that is a game-changer in their business.